Ricotta is generally considered to be one of the healthiest cheeses as it has a low fat content. It is an Italian whey cheese made from sheep, cow, goat, or Italian water buffalo milk whey left over from the production of cheese.
The production of ricotta in the Italian peninsula is old, dating back to the Bronze Age. The original ricotta is made of whey with the addition of a small amount of milk, but more recently ricotta has been made of whole milk, as well. It is made by coagulating the proteins that remain after the casein has been used to make cheese, notably albumin and globulin.
Fresh ricotta can be subjected to extra processing to produce variants which have a much longer shelf life. These production methods include salting, baking, smoking, and further fermentation.
Health benefits of eating Ricotta:
- Good remedy for dry and rough hair.
- Stimulates hair growth.
- Natural skin softner.
- Exfoliates dead skin from the body surface.
- Helps to reduce the risk of cancer.
- Protects arteries from getting blocked.
- Good source of protein.
- Helps to maintain good teeth and bone health.
One half cup (124g ) serving of whole milk ricotta cheese has 13.96 g of protein. This is 25-30 percent of your daily value of protein, which will help to build muscle.
Ricotta cheese is a commonly-available cheese used as a filling for lasagna and stuffed shells, as well as a pizza topping, and even as a filling for Italian desserts such as cannoli.
- Use part-skim ricotta to add cheesy flavor for low-fat cooking.
- Combine diced tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil, extra-virgin olive oil and part-skim ricotta cheese in a food processor or blender for a nutrient-packed sauce suitable for pasta dishes.
- Serve ricotta and spinach in whole-grain manicotti noodles for a decadent main course, or use pieces of ricotta to add creamy texture to a spinach, strawberry and walnut salad.
- Alternatively, mix part-skim ricotta with lemon juice and fresh herbs to make a healthful dip for raw veggies.
FoodFinger App. Nutritional therapist in your phone.